Thursday, September 26, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Have I done any good in the world today?

Have I done any good in the world today?
Have I helped anyone in need?
Have I cheered up the sad and made someone feel glad?
If not, I have failed indeed.
Has anyone’s burden been lighter today
Because I was willing to share?
Have the sick and the weary been helped on their way?
When they needed my help was I there?

Have I Done Any Good in the World Today? Mormon Channel


[Chorus]
Then wake up and do something more
Than dream of your mansion above.
Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure,
A blessing of duty and love.

There are chances for work all around just now,
Opportunities right in our way.
Do not let them pass by, saying, “Sometime I’ll try,”
But go and do something today.
’Tis noble of man to work and to give;
Love’s labor has merit alone.
Only he who does something helps others to live.
To God each good work will be known.
Have I Done Any Good?,” Hymns of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, no. 223

This week I have been praying for opportunities to serve others and forget about myself.  God readily answered my prayers.  He has blessed me with those opportunities when I wasnt looking for them, or even didnt think it was a good time "for my schedule".  But I know that when we put down our schedules and serve God in His own time and His own way, then not only are we able to be instruments in His hands to bless others, but we are blessed as well.  Not the least of those blessings has been coming closer to my Lord and Savior, Jesus the Christ.   

How have you done good today?  How have you 

been blessed by that service?

2 comments:

  1. thus far today, i have gone running and eaten breakfast -- both for my own benefit. i have failed indeed! however, there are still ~15 hours left in this day to do something for someone else, and your post has inspired me to find an opportunity (or two or three) to serve someone else. thanks for the great example, ivy! also, this post reminded me of something awesome i saw earlier this week: http://www.upworthy.com/scientists-discover-one-of-the-greatest-contributing-factors-to-happiness-youll-thank-me?g=2&c=or1

    ReplyDelete
  2. Allie, you make my day! Thank you so much for your comment! I'm so grateful you like these posts and that they boost somebody. :) I LOVE the video you shared! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)