Thursday, September 5, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Big Band, Servicemen&Women, and Vintage Dancers :)


When Drue gushed to me about a Big Band concert on campus, my first reactions were a mix of "I still don't know what big band is" and "well it would probably be fun with her" and "maybe I dont want to use my night like that".


I am grateful. Grateful for a sister who got me out to see it.  Grateful for the amazing producers and cast members.  Now I understand why "In the Miller Mood" is an award winning show that sells out every year.  Celebrate America presents an incredible homage to America and her servicemen and women (including Red Cross and other service organizations) through song, dance, funny vintage ads, and inspiring salutes to those who have served or who are still serving.


As I listened to songs that deployed servicemen found comfort in, I thought about the loneliness and hardships they must have experienced.  I thought about Syria. I pray our good men and women will be protected.

"May the Good Lord Bless and Keep You" by Nat King Cole, The Andrew Sisters, and Bing Crosby. 

My most favorite scene of the entire night: after the show the dance floor opened up to everyone, and an elderly couple were the first to get up.  They danced to every tune, knew how to rock each boogie or slide better than any dance team, and others would look to them for cues whenever they didnt know which dance to jive.  She popped her foot a few times too.  :)  

I am grateful for living reminders that even those who go through the roughest of times can come out stronger, livelier, and full of the joy that reminds me of what is worth living and fighting for.  

What elicits your gratitude for America and those who protect her?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)