Monday, October 25, 2010

Green chili under 10 minutes



My grandma makes a soup we call "green chili". It tastes so good after working for hours in chilly Wyoming. It has stewed tomatoes, pork, cans of canned chiles, kidney, black and refried beans, and (probably) tabasco sauce.

This is my version of green chili when I need to have dinner on the table in less than 10 minutes. When served with grain, the meal provides all amino acids needed for complete protein. I eat this with toasted tortilla (warmed in an ungreased fry pan, both sides) or cornbread.

This is your meal. Use however much you want to eat. :)

Clean-up is a breeze because you only use one bowl. So grab your cheese grater, can opener, and your best soup bowl (soup tastes better in pretty bowls), and here we go:


Green chili under 10
Serves 1
As written, this chili is thick. The tomato provides the water to make this "soupy"; this becomes apparent after the soup is heated and the tomatoes release their juice. Increase the tomatoes or salsa for more watery consistency.
1/3 of a 16 oz can of refried beans
1/3 of a 4 oz can of diced green chiles
1/3 C grated cheddar cheese (I don't pack it down; it's just a loose measurement)
3 T of your favorite salsa
1 tomato or 1/3 C canned tomato

Grate the cheddar cheese into your soup bowl. Dump in the beans, chiles and salsa. Cut up the tomato into the bowl, and give it a good stir. Cover the bowl with wax paper to prevent splattering, and microwave on high until the cheese is melted and the soup is hot (this takes 3 1/2 minutes in my old microwave).

Slurp away. ;)


PS You can add anything you love on burritos: cilantro, meat, sour cream (after you microwave), etc.

PPS For me, the two cans of beans and chiles become three meals over the course of a week. :)



4 comments:

  1. I love it! I am going to try this. I don't know when yet, but I will because it sounds easy and fast and delicious.

    P.S. I LOVE your blog. It is a calm and happy respite from the world. Remember all those times we talked about your starting a blog? I'm so proud that you did start one and that you post regularly. Please keep writing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Christina! I do remember--and I'm especially grateful you supported and encouraged me to do so. :) Thank you!

    Please post what you think about the green chile! I love reading food blog comments because sometimes readers post ideas that I never, ever, would have thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried it! Instead of making it for one bowl like you suggested, Steven and I dumped in the whole cans of beans and chilis, used about half a can of diced tomates (undrained), and three times your suggested amounts of cheese and salsa to keep the ratios right. This tripling fed both of us one dinner and left enough for a small lunch for me.

    We loved it! Steven especially liked the green chilis. We both think it needs more cheese than the 1 cup we used, and we both thought that adding hamburger, carne asada or another meat that goes well with beans would make it even tastier. Next time we'll try it with the tortillas, too. I also foresee a time when Steven will add jalepenos to this chili (he went to the Fresno, CA Spanish-speaking mission). I'd like to add more vegetables to the mix, since I don't eat many and they could hide in the refried beans, but I can't think of any that would work very well.

    This makes me think of another recipe that I want to share with you! (That's a first!) In your slow cooker, cook chicken breasts, black beans and salsa until the chicken is done; use two cans of beans per chicken breast. This mix is FANTASTIC in burritos and makes a tasty school/work lunch. I also melt cheese into the mix for the last few minutes. If you use frozen chicken, start cooking the mix before church and it will almost be done by the time you get home.

    I hope you delight in reading comments even when they're really long! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Christina, you made my day! I delight in really long comments like yours because they are enthusiastic and constructive! THANK YOU! I am SO glad you thought enough of this recipe to take the time to report! :) :) :)

    Your slow cooker chicken&beans sounds so very, very good. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)