Sunday, March 20, 2011

Christ washing Peter's feet and the Atonement

A couple weeks ago I read the account in the Bible of Jesus washing his apostle's feet after the Passover dinner and prior to his Atonement in the Garden of Gethsemane.  I was struck for the first time how these versus relate not only to the principle of service, but to the principle of repentance through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.

The account I quote from is in John 13: 4-9.  In verses 8-9 I include the Joseph Smith Translation* of the Bible, with differences in italics.  I apologize if there are typos in the scripture below.

4) He riseth from supper, and laid aside his garments; and took a towel, and girded himself.
5) After that he poureth water into a bason, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the towel wherewith he was girded.
6) Then cometh he to Simon Peter: and Peter saith unto him, Lord, dost thou wash my feet?
7) Jesus answered and said unto him, What I do thou knowest not now; but thou shalt know hereafter.
8) Peter saith unto him, Thou needest not to wash my feet.  Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.
9) Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.  Jesus saith to him, He that has washed his hands and his head, needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit; and ye are clean, but not all.  Now this was the custom of the Jews under their law; wherefore, Jesus did this that the law might be fulfilled.  









"In those days washing a visitor's feet was a sign of honor and was usually done by a servant."**  I can imagine Peter protesting in tender horror that the Son of God was washing his feet, "Lord, dost thou wash my feet?"  [emphasis added]

And the Master Teacher reply that yes, if Peter wanted anything to do with him, that he would allow him to finish the service.

In India I wore sandals everywhere, and my feet would get covered in dust and filth.  Several times I actually soaked my feet and sandals in bleach water in attempt to cleanse them from sewage.

I can scarcely comprehend allowing my Lord and Master to wash away the grime from perhaps the dirtiest parts of my body.  And yet, the Savior and Redeemer of the world already atoned for all most filthy, despicable deeds and weaknesses, and suffered the pains and afflictions of the world.  He already did the work, and now He asks that I, weak and sinful as I am, allow Him to cleanse me through His all-encompassing and perfect Atonement.  


I am grateful for Peter's example: "Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head."


I know that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God.  Through accepting and embracing His atoning sacrifice I can be cleansed, pure, and made whole.  I know that He lives, and that He knows and loves me and you.  In the name of Jesus Christ, amen.




MormonMessages video Lifting Burdens: The Atonement of Jesus Christ









*A talk on the Joseph Smith Translation of the Bible can be found here.  

**From the Gospel Principles manual, last full paragraph on page 166  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)