Thursday, May 27, 2010

13th Thankful Thursday: Memorial Day 2010

Dear Reader,

Monday is Memorial Day, a United States federal holiday to honor those men and women who have died while in the military service.

I know people go to cemeteries to remember and honor those who died in combat. Remembering is good. I believe those experiences help make us more grateful for what blessings we have.

Please consider this: what if we also thank those who have served and are still living?

One of my neighbors served in the Battle of the Bulge. He was left for dead. He has metal shards and scars all over his back from an explosion. He is a hero.

No less of a hero is my cousin, who served in the National Guard for eight years. Included in his service is Galveston, Texas after Hurricane Ike wreaked havoc.

I know Veterans Day celebrates those who have served; however:
--Some veterans might not be around until next November.
--Can you really thank someone who has sacrificed so much too much?

THIS WEEK: Write and mail a thank-you card to a man or woman who has served their country.

Mail the card tomorrow to ensure the recipient receives it as close to Memorial Day as possible.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)