Thursday, May 13, 2010

11th Thankful Thursday: Love Languages

My mother just finished a "90 day mind and body transformation," in which she took classes that helped her learn how to take care of her body and how to be her very best self.

I love hearing what she learned. One of the most life changing lessons she has shared was about five different "love languages" that people speak.

The premise: everyone has a primary way in which they express their love. And for whatever reason, people tend to marry someone who speaks a love language different from their own. The languages are:

--words of affirmation
--quality time
--giving gifts
--service
--physical touch

Each is distinct. Each is meaningful. I encourage you to read Dr. Chapman's descriptions of them at http://www.5lovelanguages.com.

This opened up a world of understanding. I realized why 15 minutes of ping-pong with my littlest sister meant so much to her. I understood why my middle sister gives random hugs throughout the day. I understood that my grandpa expresses his love through meaningful gifts and sacrifice.

Once I understood what primary language my family members speak, I could think of many examples of how they expressed their love without ever saying "I love you."

I also understood why I nearly burst into tears while eating lunch with my mom at The Old Grist Mill: we had received a phone call in which I thought she was going to have to leave immediately (it all worked out, the Mommy-Daughter Time resumed and everything was fine).

My dad made an analogy: refusing to learn how to speak another's love language is like the Ugly American who refuses to acknowledge and learn another culture's language.

The result: no communication, unhappiness, frustration and anger.

Imagine yourself fluent in all five languages.

The result: healthy relationships, happiness, peace and fulfillment.

Have you had an experience where you learned how someone expressed their love other than through words?

This week: Identify what primary love language your family members speak. Then tell them "I love you" speaking their language.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)