Friday, July 26, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Examples to look to

Today my dad called our "adopted grandma", Daisy, who lives in California, a sweet Hawaiian who babysat us many times as my brother and I were growing up.  Dad and I have the opportunity to visit with her and some other close friends there this weekend, and I am so excited.  As I listened to Daisy's sweet gentle voice, and her insistence on inviting us to eat with her, I was transported back to her tiny kitchen eating macaroni salad from colored plastic plates.  To her brown and green sitting room where the world's coolest kitchen play set resides.  To her backyard with the amazing roller coaster (a world-record two feet tall), and the bonsai trees and colored koi fish... Car rides with her on Saturdays looking for deals at yard sales.   I remembered her love.  Her sweet, gentle persuasion. And I teared as I thought how little I had appreciated her generosity growing up, and grateful that now that I am more aware of the sacrifices she made for us, I can be grateful.  I can thank her for giving us so much, when she had so little.

Tonight I feel gratitude for my brother.  He has taken university classes all summer long.  He leaves home early in the morning and gets home very late.  He doesnt complain.  He doesnt wish out loud for vacations.  He doesnt make a scene when we ask him to give up homework time to come read family scriptures or have family prayer.  He comes and participates and then goes back to work.  It's a reminder for me of putting the most important things first and letting God take care of the rest.  I love my brother and am grateful for him.  I am inspired by his example.

I love my family.  I am grateful for each and every one of them.  For those "adopted" and those of full-blood.  I am grateful to know that we are all children of our Heavenly Father who knows and loves us, and that He sent His Perfect Son to be our Savior and Example as well.  

Who is an example you look to?


1 comment:

  1. brittany crookstonJuly 26, 2013 at 8:38 PM

    Ivy you are so amazing i love being around you you can feel the spirt around you you have done so many things and have helped so many Hevenly Father would be well pleased

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)