Monday, June 11, 2012

Hola de Hermana, 11/6/12


Hola mi familia!  

I love you all so much!  We're still doing good, and we're happy.  I just feel tired.  I confess that I have been stressing about writing handwritten letters to you every week.  And if we didn't have time during pday, I was staying up late to write to you.  I'm not going to stay up late anymore, I want to be obedient. 

Last Friday I spent an hour writing apology letters to some members and investigators.  It's amazing how when we're in positions to handle it, we're given loving chastening so that we can learn and grow.  Another blessing from missions is that we learn how to work with other people, and that I've learned that other people think they're right too, and I have to step back and ask, How does God see this?  Another saving grace has been remembering, Don’t ask "What do other people think of me", but "What does God think of me?"  And I’m so grateful for Hna S's counsel.  She taught me that because we are literally representatives of Jesus Christ with His name, we have EXTRA obligations to BE LIKE HIM, which includes loving everyone and forgiving everyone.  

I am continually learning patience.  I had hoped Jose's family would be one where they were baptized in two weeks, but we're still working with them.  Jose's work schedule is really difficult but he told us, "Pronto me voy por la capilla."(I'm close to coming to church.)  But I heard "la capital" not capilla, and thought he said he was going to move to Guate city!  And I told him, Ägh!  Tango dolor in mi corazon!"and Hna S and Hna G said, "Porque?" and I understood what he actually said, and I squealed with excitement because he said he's going to come to church.  :)  It's hilarious how many times I still misunderstand Spanish.  What is funny is that I had more instances this week where people told me that they don't understand me, and I have felt reminded that I have to push myself to dominate this language and not just plateau to get by.  :)  Jose also told us that he's grateful for what we've been doing for his family because they've felt more peace.  I'm so grateful.  Please continue praying for them and that Concepcion will want to learn and feel the Spirit testify of the truth and importance of our message.

I want to tell you about chocofrutos.  People make shishkabobs out of fruit, usually peeled bananas, pineapple, or strawberries, but sometimes you can find papaya or mango, and then stick them in the freezer.  Then when we come buy and want to order one, they stick the shiskkabob in a slowcooker that has melted chocolate, and we get to snack on a chocolatefruitsacle.  :)  They taste SO GOOD, and if you want to do it too, you can use my teenytiny slowcooker I've got in my bedroom.  

I have been reminded this week from issues in families in the ward how it is OF UTMOST IMPORTANCE to do the small and simple things God asks us to do, like reading in the scriptures and praying as families EVERY DAY.  Those small and simple tasks strengthen and protect us, and allow us to receive the divine help we need.  And families need to do these tasks together to protect them from the attacks of the Adversary.  Please Please Please don't ever get complacent or comfortable, and strive to better your obedience.  And please make sure you have family home evening.  I just had the thought its like a teeny tiney General Conference especially for our family because you can focus on whatever our family needs most.  

The small and simple things work wonders.  We've been working with a family from Ecuador, and last weekend one of the sons who had had really long hair came to church with a nice short almost buzz cut (?).  I was so excited for him!  He made his own decision about something we have NEVER talked about, and I know it was because he has been doing the small and simple things and has been receiving personal revelation.  

I testify the Gospel of Jesus Christ changes lives.  When we learn and act on His teachings, the Savior is able to change our hearts and illuminate our minds.  but we have to do our part by seeking to learn and then acting on what we learn.  

I love you all so much!  

--Hermana Ivy [-]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)