Thursday, April 7, 2011

58th Thankful Thursday: Service enabling Christ

I would be totally thrilled if you take time to read this post--it is one of my favorites.  :)


The past few months I dabbled in and out of a shallow mire of gloom from thinking about myself too much.  I finally learned for myself a principle that saved me; and while I'm certainly not stellar at living it yet, in a few weeks I have felt much happier.


The principle: Losing myself in service allows Jesus Christ room to be in me.






While trying to understand how to get out of my personal mud pit, I was struck by the following from "Pride and the Priesthood" by Elder Dieter F. Uchtdorf, when he explains that to be like Jesus Christ we must "lose ourselves in the service of others, just as the Savior did."


I'd heard that concept many times--to "lose myself in service".  I believed it to be true, but wanted to understand why it works.  


I found this in Doctrine and Covenants 50:43
And the Father and I are one.  I am in the Father and the Father in me; and inasmuch as ye have received me, ye are in me and I in you.


Understanding came.  If both my hands are full holding something, I cannot pick up anything else unless I make room for the desired item by letting go of what I'm already holding.  Likewise, when I let go, or lose, myself in service, I literally make room for Jesus Christ to be in me, that I may be like Him!


I am so grateful.  As I have sought to lose myself in service, I have been much, much happier.


This week:  What have you felt from giving service?

I drew the above to help me understand this principle.  :)


2 comments:

  1. Ivy, you are awesome. I love you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina Joy, I love you too! Thank you!!! :) :) :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)