Thursday, April 21, 2011

60th Thankful Thursday: Works of art

Have you ever seen a painting that took your breath away the moment you saw it?  One that drew your heart right into its canvas?

This painting* elicited those emotions when I first saw it.



I connected to this depiction of Jesus Christ more than any other I've seen.  His agony became intimate through the portrait's life-like size.  The detail took my breath away: every hair was delicately executed;  the teardrop under His eye so real, it almost dripped out of the painting; the blood glistened.

I learned from one source of all knowledge (Wikipedia *cough*) that this depiction of Jesus Christ, Christ at the Column, is while he is being tortured by Roman soldiers.

I am grateful the Italian Renaissance painter, Antonello da Messina, used his talents to create a work that has blessed my life.

This week: What is a work of art you are thankful for?




*The image I've posted above is a photo of the actual painting (and its frame) that I took while at the Louvre.  I am also grateful for museums that allow visitors to photograph collection pieces.  :)  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)