Sunday, January 30, 2011

Gently spiced black beans with baked sweet potatoes

I really, really like this recipe.  It's not very spicy, but is flavorful enough to tickle the taste-buds.  The flavors of the beans and the sweet potatoes complement each other very well.  It's fast and can easily be doubled or tripled depending on how many mouths are around to feed.  It's one I'll make and turn into brown-bag lunches for a week.

I adapted the recipe from EatingWell.  While you could zap the sweet potatoes in your microwave on short notice, as EatingWell recommends, I suggest baking them in the oven.  Baking takes planning ahead, but zapped sweet potatoes don't carmelize like baked ones do.

The sweet potatoes take about an hour and a half to bake (they're super forgiving on time).  About twenty minutes before they're done, start the black beans and you're good to go.  :)  If making a larger batch, allot more time for it to come to a simmer.

Yogurt makes a nice garnish and helps make this a complete protein.  This meal is fairly heavy, so I recommend serving with crackers or flatbread.


Gently spiced black beans with baked sweet potatoes
Serves 2-3 (I make this into three)

Two medium sweet potatoes (I like the red garnet yams)

1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
2 t garam masala (a yummy alternative is to use 1 t ground coriander--I bet ground cumin would be fine too--, 1/2 t ground cinnamon and 1/2 t chili powder)
~1/2 to 3/4 t salt, to taste (depends on how salty the tomatoes are)
1 heaping T freeze-dried cilantro (can use dried)
1/4 t, heaping, onion powder (when tripling this recipe I use 1 t)
2 t olive oil

1 t lime juice

Optional garnishes:
yogurt
cilantro

Heat your oven to 350 degrees F.  Poke the sweet potatoes with a knife or fork, and wrap in aluminum foil, sprinkling a little water inside.  Bake for about an hour and a half, or until they are soft and oozing carmely colored juices.

About twenty minutes before the potatoes are done, mix together everything but the lime juice in a sauce pan and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for about 10 minutes and add the lime juice.  Stir and keep warm.  Serve by dolloping the bean mixture over the sweet potatoes in bowls.

I've found that the flavor continues to improve over time--even just waiting five minutes after adding the lime juice.

Enjoy!  :)

PS  I would love to know what you think about this recipe, including any changes you make.  :)  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)