Wednesday, January 19, 2011

47th Thankful Thursday: Doing things of greatest worth

"We are not only to do good, but, most importantly, to do the things of greatest worth—things of the heart that we know we should do but often don’t do."

--James E. Faust, "Sins of Omission", Friend, June 1998, inside front cover

In the except located here, President Faust talks about how he has regretted all his life not taking the time to stop what he was doing to help his grandmother by refilling her kitchen woodbox.  

I think about the guilt I feel for the thank-you notes I've never written, the time not spent with family because I was too stressed about school, the phone calls I haven't made, and the side walk I didn't shovel.  

And I also remember the joy I felt when I did send thank-you notes, the times I did spend with family even when I was stressed, the phone calls I did make, and the side walk I plan to shovel--to be better than I was before.  

This week: Do something of greatest worth even when, at the time, it is hard.  Please, please come back and tell me about it.  :)  

3 comments:

  1. I have never regretted the times I put things aside or put off going to bed to sit and listen when one of my kids wanted to talk... Those times are precious - and thanks for the reminder of their value! -Kris

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just last night, Steven and I made time to call my sister Rosie to wish her a happy birthday when all we really wanted to do was relax after a long day of work and school. Other times I have put off going to bed, doing homework or have participated in activities I didn't want to do to help family and friends when they needed me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dearest Mom/Kris--And this kid in particular thinks her mom is even more incredibly awesome for her listening and understanding skills than her amazing skills in the kitchen. THANK YOU!!! :)

    Christina--thank you so much for taking the time to share!!! I still value the times you spent talking with me over dinner last year-that meant a ton! I can imagine how utterly thrilled a sister would be that her totally awesome older sister remembered her and took time to call her. :) Way to go!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)