Thursday, January 13, 2011

46th Thankful Thursday: Supermom skills in the kitchen

189 jars (mostly quarts) of veggies and fruit
107 cups of salsa and sweet chili sauce
284 cups of jams and jellies

That is what my Supermom canned just this past autumn.  She cans food every autumn, working tens of hours in a hot kitchen.  I think one year she canned over 150 quarts of grape juice. If she's doing tomatoes she boils the tomatoes and skins every one.  Peaches are peeled with a paring knife.  Jams and jellies require near-constant stirring over a steamy pot, most batches take at least half an hour and only produce about 12 cups of jam each.  Applesauce requires the apples to be cooked and then squished through a food mill.


She is amazing.  And the fruits of her labor make up most of my pantry, particularly canned tomatoes, applesauce, salsa, and peaches.

I am grateful for her skills, and that she is so willing to give what she makes.  It makes my dinner and lunch preparation so much easier, more delicious, and healthier, than they would be otherwise.

This week:  How has your Supermom blessed you with one (or more) of her skills?

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're enjoying the fruits of our labors Ivy! I love how the whole family participates - from planning the garden in January, to prepping and planting, watering and weeding, and finally harvesting and preserving. It is definitely a group effort! --Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grateful my Supermom has instilled in me a love of learning and a willingness to work. She is also a great example of selfless service, which I hope to do better to emulate. I also love her love of family traditions - and I'm very grateful that she continues to bake sugar cookies and host holiday parties, even though her kids are all grown and have families of their own! --Kris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mom/Kris, thank you SO MUCH for taking time to write your thoughts here! I'm grateful we can do so much work together, and also that you're giving us traditions too. :) I love you tons!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)