Wednesday, December 8, 2010

41st Thankful Thursday: Lights in the dark

The Sunday before Thanksgiving I hung a strand of Christmas lights in my apartment's main room.  The purple, pink, yellow, blue and green lights cast cheery glows on the walls and ceiling.  I love turning off the room's lights and basking in their sweet glistening.

I am thankful for the lights in my life that I can be thankful for in times of dreariness.

Some such "Christmas lights" from this week:

--happening upon the delightful flavor combination of fig newtons and gorgonzola cheese (a type of blue cheese)--think a Pixar Ratatouille moment of savoring--if only my ears could be so expressive... or maybe it's a good thing they aren't...  :)



--a wonderful email from my grandma, quote, "...I am happy for you. I think I am grateful that you showed me about the OED. I must use extreme discipline to avoid getting into it except when necessary. I think it is the most fun reading I know of. Can you imagine having all that information about one common word!"

--the young man in the library taking time to ask people to write Christmas cards to servicemen and servicewomen, even though he also has a busy last-two-weeks-of-school

--finding scripture that perfectly meets my present needs (Alma 38, especially verse 5)

--the blessed people who salted the university sidewalks early Monday morning (the heavy fog the night prior had covered all surfaces in black ice--it was near fatal just walking to the bus stop)

--stories such as this one from NPR.  :)

--LDS missionaries serving hot chocolate for free on campus (it tasted so good)

--sinking into bed at night, and waking up perfectly cozy

THIS WEEK:  What lights up dark times for you, that you are thankful for?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)