Thursday, July 29, 2010

India: 22nd Thankful Thursday: Saving Strangers (and Family)

Hmm. That may not be the best title because it could imply that you or I are saving others. This week, "Saving Strangers and Family" refers to others coming to our rescue.

Last Thursday morning, MST, I left India to come home. 77 hours later, I pulled in the SLC airport, after being bumped off two flights in Delhi, being rerouted through London, and staying overnight in Chicago. It was a long journey.

But, I learned just as much, if not more, about myself during those days than I did during six weeks in India. I am grateful. I am also grateful for the people I met during those hours who buoyed me up and helped me get through it.

First, L. L. is a 21 year old young lady from Arizona, who got bumped off the first Delhi flight with me. I cannot express how much it meant to bum around INR market with her the next day, to have a travel buddy, and to learn from her how to insist that you are reimbursed for costs a bumped passenger shouldn't have to pay.

Second, J. and his family. They were also bumped off the first flight, and then bumped off the second flight. They were traveling home after visiting family in Southern India. It meant so much to be with them, and I am so grateful J. let me use his cell phone. That enabled me to let Mom know I was stranded, and she was able to call an American Airline agent in the US, and he was able to find a way for me to get home.

Third, the Airline Agent, who didn't give up searching for flights. If he hadn't kept looking, I would have been shipped to JFK airport without knowing what would come next.

Fourth, my Uncle E. He lives in Chicago, and came and picked me up from the airport and took me to my hotel. I think he doesn't feel like he helped much, but it meant TONS to be able to give him a hug after such a long trip, to talk with him, and to soak in his love.

Fifth, my immediate family. I was smiling when I walked out of the secure area of the airport, and saw them waiting for me (grinning and waving), but when I made it to Mom's arms I cried. Love heals everything.

THIS WEEK: When has a stranger blessed you in your life, and how?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)