Wednesday, July 21, 2010

India: 21st Thankful Thursday: Lessons Learned

Today I leave India to go back home! The past six weeks have been crazy and wonderful, but I'm so grateful and happy that I can leave here on a high/good note.

Some things I'm grateful to have learned:

--I can do hard things.
--I can disassemble my western constructs and try to see the way the gears in the people's heads here work.
--My body is an amazing feat of creation. It mostly adjusted to the heat and humidity, to the point where I think I'll be more uncomfortable in my home's climate.
--It is possible to chew and swallow raw garlic, more particularly seven cloves right after each other. It is also possible that an Indian garlic clove that is a third the size of an American garlic clove can be three times as potent as the latter.
--I can be flexible and adjust plans as needed.
--I can laugh at myself. More particularly because of myself.
--I can live and work with people I've never met before in a foreign environment.
--I can return anger with objectivity. Thank goodness I learned this from Dad before I came here.
--I don't panic easily. Even when a mouse is sniffing my backpack. Even when I open my suitcase and see a mouse bury further down in it. Even when I later open the suitcase outside and tentatively dump everything out expecting to find a dead mouse (I never did find it. Just a bunch of mouse feces.)
--People can choose to be happy wherever they are, in whatever circumstances they are in.
--Beauty can be found anywhere.
--I may not be the one to see the results of what I've done here. But I'm grateful Subhash has said my work has made a difference. I'm grateful to know I've helped lay the groundwork for what he is going to continue building.

THIS WEEK: What lessons have you learned from a particular experience you have had?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Daughter,

    I just got your email that you got bumped from your plane out of Delhi. I am sad that it will be another day (or two!) before we get to see you, but I am glad that you get to spend time in Delhi, and see some new sights, knowing that it is a great blessing to spend more time with the people of India. What an experience! I am certainly envious.

    I am more pleased than anything at the accelerated life lessons you have picked up while learning to interact effectively with others who are so different, and yet so much the same as you.

    ok... When you get home, you can order worms for the vermiculture heap.

    (!!)

    I love you.

    --d

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)