Monday, June 14, 2010

India: Mangoes and Hearing Problems

I've eaten mangoes. Real mangoes. Juicy ripe and yellow skinned mangoes. Pure heaven on earth. :) It is the end of mango season, and I want to eat two every day while they're still here. Not sure what that'll do to the digestive tract...better Google it. ;)
I didn't know cities could be so dirty. It is filthy here. The roads are chaotic, but the drivers must be the best on earth in terms of having 360 degree vision and lightning reflexes. . It's like Mario Kart on Steroids, and drivers, no matter the appearance, are actually NOT trying to kill each other.


I'm grateful when the city goes quiet after 10 pm. Wonderful to have a break from honking and noise.

Pickpockets don't appear to be a big problem. We are always in pairs. I feel mostly safe. I'm amazed at the opportunity to live with Giants among our peers. They know so much about international travel, are assertive, and leaders. I'm excited to learn from them.

One of my favorite moments: in Gospel Principles class during church the Sister introducing the teacher said "Sister ___" instead of "Brother" and then cracked up (leaned over onto the table for support while she laughed) over her mistake. I loved Church in part because it gives me a chance to see the people as they are, and not in awkward transaction situations. :)

The branch is actually quite large, about 200 people. There is a HUGE surplus of young single men. One of them, whose name I can't pronounce, was VERY attentive on Sunday, in wanting to show me to the right rooms, etc. NOT something I'm used to or want. He was nice, just overly helpful... but that's a characteristic of many Indians, from what I've been told. He was surprised I'm "only 20."

Other funny story about him: I was having a particularly hard time understanding what he was saying, as his accent was MUCH more rolling and fast than most people I''ve talked to. After another round of "say that again" and "I don't understand", he pointed to his right ear and asked if I had hearing problems. :P

I've actually been able to smile LOTS. I've been grateful I can smile and when people (about half of them) smile back. It's nice to be able to smile when I'm buying something and don't understand, and the clerk person just smiles to himself wondering what this silly American girl is doing here.

Glad this American girl knows she is supposed to be here. :)

--Ivy


PS Internet cafe's are annoying. The keys are hard to press

PPS It is amazing how loud a single American is even when she's just conversing. Indian people talk so quietly and don't seem to ever raise their voice, but we seem to all the time. I realized that when I'm in Church and raise my voice to give a comment because I want people to hear me, even THAT is probably harsh on their ears.

PPPS The people here LOVE color. It is so fun to see the people dressed in every color imagineable. Walking rainbows everywhere. :) :) :)

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud from the part about the hearing problems and onward. you make me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)