Wednesday, June 30, 2010

India: 15th-18th Thankful Thursdays: Mothers, sisters, blessings and smiles

On Thursday June 11, my sister took care of Thankful Thursday for me by posting the following on Facebook:



15th Thankful Thursday: Today is my mom's birthday. What are 5 things you love about your mom?

[Why we love our mom]
1. She gives great advice
2. She gives great hugs :)
3. She is supportive
4. She is strong--spirit, mind, and body.
5. She's a great cook!

16th Thankful Thursday
On Thursday June 17, I forgot to ask my other sister to post for me. So you had a Thursday of Rest. Aren't you grateful? ;)

17th Thankful Thursday
On Thursday June 24, I forgot to post. However, I am very grateful that on that evening, when I had spent the day home, ill, T. was able to give me a priesthood blessing. A priesthood blessing is when a man who has been given the Priesthood, the authority to do what Jesus Christ would do were He here, lays his hands on top of one's head, and blesses the one. I am grateful the Gospel of Jesus Christ is the same no matter where in the world I am.

18th Thankful Thursday
Today, I'm thankful for smiles. Three events from the past week come to mind.

1) When I went to Toy Story 3 last Friday, we went straight from Kowdipally to the movie theatre because we were low on time. I had sidewalk chalk in my backpack. The security guard, who obviously isn't paid to smile, was searching my backpack and pulled out the chalk. I knew it was ridiculous, and I just smiled at him. He held it up and looked at me, "Chalk?" "Yes." By this time I was starting to laugh and he smiled too. Instead of being embarrassed, we could both laugh at how ridiculous the situation was.

2) While riding in a rickshaw, I caught the eye of an older man sitting in the back of a truck auto. I smiled at him, and his eyes brightened as he smiled back.

3) In the grocery store at the checkout line, the grocery clerk who has checked me out more than once had a smile waiting for me! And he didn't even wait for me to pull out change as usual, he just said to never mind about the change and pulled some out for me.

I tell you, consistent smiling will change the world.

This week: Make an effort to smile and laugh at yourself at least once, and catch the eye of someone who isn't smiling and smile at them. May sunshine be with you. :)

2 comments:

  1. LOVE it!! I have already done that, on this Fourth of July day :) I saw some random person and I smiled at them. They kind of stared for a second, like they were trying to figure out if it was for them or not. But then they smiled back :D It felt good!

    Love you, Ivy!!!
    Middle Sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go, girl! :) I'm so glad they smiled back. Every time someone does, I feel like they've poured some hot chocolate into my "Giving Pitcher".

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)