Monday, April 8, 2013

Hola de Hermana, 8-4-13


Hola mi familia asombrosa!

This week was one of the oddest I´ve had in the mission.  It was very long, we battled headcolds and discouragement, and we were all grateful to end the week with the peace and inspiration of General Conference.  The mission has an all'spanish rule, and I´m grateful to understand so much more than 18 months ago.  It was the oddest conference I´ve had here, with not only receiving ideas about how to help our investigators, but thoughts about what to do when I get home and what I need to accomplish here before I go.  Talk about a war in the head!  But I felt so much peace, and Elder Holland once again gave the talk that blessed me most.  This time is was more what the Spirit taught me while he was talking, but his and President Monson´s talks were my favorites.  

From your comments, I think you all are much more baggy than I am!  But I did drill holes in one of my suitcases this morning to put in a pink jumprope handle...  But if baggy means not wanting to work, I´m grateful I still am not baggy.  I´m so grateful for Hna S´s animo to propose last night that this week is our week of miracles.  We are aiming for 4 baptismal fechas and 8 church asistences.  Please pray for us!  And I´m praying for you all and the week of State Science Olympiad!!!  

I think I´ve talked about Elmer since my first email from here in Toto.  A youth I was for sure would someday be a bishop.  But yesterday he came all the way to the Stake Center, 30 min by bus, and back just to tell us that he has finally decided for sure that he doesn’t want to come to our church.  That he read and prayed and nothing happened.  And that the music and speakers are boring.  And the first three things that popped into my mind were Saul on the road to Damascus, a man I contacted in Calvario, and the Chinese New Year Dinner that I attended with Dad just before Huck got home from his mission.  

I told Elmer straight up that maybe right now isn’t his time, but like Saul was called by God in his later years, asked him if he would be willing to try again later, and he said no.  And then I thought of a man I contacted in Calvario, around 40, who right out rejected me, telling me he had read the Book of Mormon and prayed and felt nothing, and didn’t want to try again.  Well if he was like Elmer, I felt sad that Elmer could turn out like that man.  And I hope that if that is Elmer´s attitude, he does NOT become like the Atheist in the Chinese dinner, who delighted in attacking what we believe and putting false ideas in a young man´s head...  It is amazing to me that no matter how genius a child of God can be, they can still say that they know the Gospel of Christ and reject another of His witnesses...  Bah.  This experience was another reminder that we are searching for those who want to come to Christ, and not to the weekly drum set.  

But other fun experiences, the family of 11 we´ve been visiting was chosen by Habitat for Humanity to receive a new house, and Saturday evening after conference we dashed into the Boonies to help them haul cement building blocks from the road to their house.  It started raining, and there were beautiful foggy mists.  And we finished just after dark.  They invited us into their home and we sat on the dirt floor and ate fried eggs and tamales with our fingers.  These people are so good, and so humble.  I love them.  

I love you family!  Time is flying, and I am so grateful to be here!  I know the Lord calls us to do His work, and He helps us to fulfill it when we ask him.  And sometimes He just asks us to trust him, and sometimes that means putting down our ideas and asking Him what His are.  

I LOVE YOU TONS!  Our Lord and Savior LIVES!  And obedience to His Gospel and Covenants brings the most happiness possible in this world!

Hermana Ivy [-]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)