Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Hola from Hermana Ivy, 19/10/11


I'm actually in Guatemala!  and I only just learned yesterday how to properly pronounce it!  (Watt-a-mala)  It is beautiful here, not terribly humid and relatively constant nice temperatures, and has rained every day, usually in downpours.  My most-used phrase is "Como se dice?", and I've learned many words, even if I'm still working on stringing sentences together.  The CCM (MTC in Español) is very small, with about 80 students compared to the MTC's 1800ish.  My new compañera is Hermana G, from Nevada, who is going to serve as a mission nurse in Nicaragua!  She is super nice and patient and kind, and I'm grateful to work with her.  Four latina compañeras also live in our 'cuarto', and my latina comañeras that I eat with are Hermana C y Hermana G, from Guatemala y Chile respectively.  They have been patient with how little I speak, are happy to teach me how to pronounce things, and are eager to learn English.  So far they have a VERY hard time making the "i" sound in "icky", and I have yet to come up with a way to teach them how to say it. 

The food they serve us is delicious, though definitely not rice and beans.  I haven’t had the same entree twice.  They actually have served hamburgers, crepes, chicken pie, barbecue rib, and even a curry.  It has been a little difficult eating so much meat, but I'm grateful I now know how to ask for only one thing, or "un pocito, por favor". 

I haven't been really homesick.  What surprised me is how much I've missed our district in Provo.  They are excellent young men and I wish them the very very best.  I'm excited to get to know our current district.

Last week we went to the Guatemala Temple and talked with members there, asking for referrals.  It was one of the funnest experiences I've had!  Mi Español was no bueno, but I smiled and attempted to talk and they understood the message.  And one man actually gave us valid contact information!  I was very happy.  :)

I'm understanding more of what our maestros are saying every day.  That has been encouraging, and I'm excited to be a better teacher.

I want to share some blessings I’ve learned about that come from paying tithing.  In a Provo devotional, the speaker talked about the verses in Malachi 3:11.  In ancient times the Israelite people were totally dependent on what they harvested, and if their crops were devoured they would have died, or the worst possible thing that could happen to their family.  When God promises that He will "rebuke the devourer," He will prevent the thing that would totally devastate our family.  The other promise of paying tithing is that those things we are working for will come to fruition, instead of rotting before ever becoming ripe.

I love you LOTS!  I’m sorry not to type more, the half hour goes fast!  I’ll write more in a letter.  LOVE YOU!

--Hermana Ivy [-]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)