Thursday, November 14, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Little Streams and children's songs

Yesterday a friend reminded me of being grateful for little things.  Today, a little something that came to mind is a song I loved as a toddler, "Give, Said the Little Stream."*  I never knew the lyrics to the second and third verses until this year, and they are beautiful:




“Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.”
“Give,” said the little stream,
As it hurried down the hill;
“I’m small, I know, but wherever I go
The fields grow greener still.”

Chorus 
Singing, singing all the day,
“Give away, oh! give away.”
Singing, singing all the day,
“Give, oh! give away.”

Image found here
“Give,” said the little rain,
“Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.”
“Give,” said the little rain,
As it fell upon the flow’rs;
“I’ll raise their drooping heads again,”
As it fell upon the flow’rs.

Give, then, as Jesus gives,
Give, oh! give, give, oh! give.
Precious in His Sight, by Greg Olsen
Give, then, as Jesus gives;
There is something all can give.
Do as the streams and blossoms do:
For God and others live.


What is a song you are grateful for?

*Words: Fanny J. Crosby, 1820–1915
Music: William B. Bradbury, 1816–1868. Arr. © 1989 IRI

Give, Said the Little Stream performed by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)