Thursday, October 24, 2013

Thankful Thursday: Tender mercies and surrounded by love

Today was one of those days, one where a cloudy smog strolls around a pretty corner and persists smugly above the shoulder.  Though I felt a bit out of sorts, today was filled with little tender mercies that reminded me that I am a child of a loving Heavenly Father, and He knows and loves me.




Some Tender Mercies
--This morning I found my very first chiasmus in the Book of Mormon! :)  A chiasmus is an ancient Semitic form of literature where topics are repeated on either side of a climatic theme.   The passage I found is beautiful, focusing on Christ being the "heavenly gift" we may receive through hope and faith.  It is found in Ether 12: 8-12.
--After attending a lecture on temples from the British scholar Margaret Barker, a dear friend I met before my mission called out to me.  It was a tender happy reunion.  :)  Squeals and hugs included.  :)
--Instead of eating lunch by myself, I ate with one of my landscaping classmates and his wife.  It was SO much fun talking with them, and I even made the connection with her that we both love My Side of the Mountain, and that that particular book probably spurred our shared enjoyment for trying to forage from the wild.  She loves to pick currants and choke cherries and jam&jelly them too!  :)  My heroine also for telling me how to cook cattails like corn cobs. :)
--a phone call from my dad :)

After getting home from campus, I grabbed some food and drove to my favorite spot in our nearby canyon.  Another tender mercy that my dad or brother had left a warm Carhartt jacket in the back of the car.  :) I sat and enjoyed the beauty of ducks quacking, fish actually jumping and clearing water to grab dinner, reeds rustling, birds calling, autumn colors in the mountains and reflecting in the pool, and later, an owl softly hooting.

Totally reminds me of the watercolor paintings by my grandma and grandpa :)

It was a beautiful spot to sit, reflect, and pray aloud in peace and solitude.  It was such a blessing to feel like the smug smog was lifted off and replaced by fluffy puffs of faith and contentment.

And what a blessing to return home to peace and love.  I am so grateful to be here.  Not only in a house I consider a home, but surrounded by friends and people who love me.

I know God our Heavenly Father lives.  He is always mindful of us and sends us tokens of His love.

Clip from The Tender Mercies of the Lord, by Elder David A. Bednar


What tender mercies have you received today?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)