Thursday, June 9, 2011

Thankful Thursday: Reassuring words

This afternoon I felt exhilarated after working three+ hours with Mom cleaning up an extraordinarily messy blackberry patch, but tonight I felt overwhelmed.  I am grateful for all three stewardships my family shares responsibility for (a family ranch, a family farm, and the house+property my immediate family actually lives on), but sometimes it is hard to work and work and work and NEVER be done.  

So it was a sweet moment reading these words tonight:

"Let no man count them as small things; for there is much which lieth in futurity, pertaining to the saints, which depends upon these things.

You know, brethren [and sisters], that a very large ship is benefited very much by a very small helm in the time of a storm, by being kept workways with the wind and the waves.

Therefore, dearly beloved brethren [and sisters], let us cheerfully do all things that lie in our power; and then may we stand still, with the utmost assurance, to see the salvation of God, and for his arm to be revealed."

:)  


1 comment:

  1. Yes, the idea of being done is appealing, but the world doesn't seem to work that way. ;-) Usually you just have to pace yourself and keep on swimming...

    I like the Jewish saying: "You are not required to complete the work; neither are you free to desist from it."

    And the Shaker aspiration: "Hands to work; hearts to God!"

    (And I think idleness feels more restful when you know what work you're resting from.)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)