Thursday, May 19, 2011

Thankful Thursday: Thank you, Gentlemen, for your virtue!

I'm typing this in a dorm room at the University of Wisconsin.  My family is here because one of my sisters is competing with her teammates at the national Science Olympiad tournament.  I love being here along for the ride, without the stress of being a competitor.  :)  

Virtue:
1) behavior showing high moral standards
   --a quality considered morally good or desirable in a person
   --virginity or chastity
Origin: from Latin virtus "valor, merit, moral perfection"


Tonight I had a difficult experience.  I was walking back to our dorms with my family and our team, when I smiled and said "Hi" to a poorly dressed man.  His reply was a quiet "Hi, Babe", and I realized a minute later that he had turned around and was following our group about 10 feet away.  I felt vulnerable and nervous, and changed my position to be on the other side of my parents, further away from him.  He finally crossed the street and I saw him checking out other women as we continued walking.


I feel naive.  I feel frustrated, sad, and almost angry that one person's reaction would cause me to hesitate and nearly fear reaching out to others.  After talking with my parents, I understand that my language of "reaching out" is not universally understood and that I must be both careful and cautious.  Right now I look forward to being a Granny when I can freely smile and no one would misinterpret in the way tonight's person did.

Aside from those negative feelings, I feel immense gratitude for the real men who have such standards that virtuous thoughts and actions define their very being.  You have blessed my life.  Here is an inadequate but heart-felt "Thank you!":

Thank you, Gentlemen, for treating me in such a way that I embrace my womanhood and feel secure and safe in your company!

Thank you, Gentlemen, for using language that uplifts and inspires me!

Thank you, Gentlemen, for showing me through your considerate actions that you respect and value me!

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your chastity and discipline, proving that you understand the sacred and sublime gift of procreation and the divinely-ordained institution of marriage and family!!!   

Thank you, Gentlemen, for your virtue!!!  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)