Thursday, October 14, 2010

33rd Thankful Thursday: Jesus Christ and yoke partners

I understand you may or may not include Jesus Christ in your life. That's your choice, and I respect that. I hope I've written this post in a way you feel comfortable participating.

One of my favorite passages in the Bible is Matthew 11: 28-30. Jesus pleads with us:

"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.
For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light."

For years, the image I visualized when I heard "yoke" was of a woman with a wooden beam across her shoulders, with a milk pail on either end, alone. How could she take on another yoke?

Two years ago, one of my Institute of Religion teachers taught me a true meaning of this scripture passage. She said to picture an oxen yoke, with a team of two partners pulling together.

Christ, she said, is the perfect yoke partner. He is all-knowing, all-powerful, perfect, and knows each of us perfectly. Because He suffered our sins and sorrows in the Garden of Gethsemane, He knows how to comfort and strengthen us. He is pleading with us to give Him our burdens, and let Him carry them for us.

I know Christ is the perfect yoke partner. He is waiting for us to ask Him to team with us. I am grateful for His love and strength. In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

This week: Why are you grateful for Christ? Or, who is a yoke partner you are grateful for?


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Ivy! Partnering with Christ in a double yoke is a much more meaningful visual... I am also very grateful for the partnership we have as a family. My immediate and extended families have always been a great source of strength to me, and I am grateful when we can share one another's burdens.

    Love you!
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Mom! I LOVE YOU too! --Ivy

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)