Monday, September 10, 2012

Hola de Hermana, 10-9-12


Hola mi familia increible! 

Fotos Missionaries with Luva after her baptism.  A photo of Hna Coni´s paca (miniDI shop).  And the last photo I´ll explain later.



Random bits from this week.  The filters here aren´t really efficient, and so we have to poke a needle in the shower head to unplug the holes.   I didn´t do this, and the thing was so plugged that the hotwaterregulatorthing overloaded and so we haven´t had hot water for a week.  Bummer that our landlord is the Bishop’s father and rather a strong character, because I haven´t felt comfortable hounding him to fix it (not that we haven’t tried talking to him, he just doesn´t answer the phone.  Sidenote, Bishop is incredible and we love him).  Rather than taking cold showers, I´ve been heating a pot of boiling water on the stove in the mornings to have warm bucket baths.  I haven´t complained because I´ve heated the water on an electric stove rather than over a wood fire, and I haven’t had to bathe in a river.  both of which I´ve heard of elders doing.  Hehe.  

We do things differently here.  Sometimes I´m not sure if it´s inline with the rules.  One is that Hna V has my full support sending text messages to the wife of a convert, who seems timid.  So Hna V exchanges texts chatting, and her husband says she likes it.  And Hna D sent us a text message that I thought was funny and I´ll share with you

Te mando un HELADO de VAINILLA para que hoy todo te salga de MARAVILLA, uno de COCO para que te anime POCO a POCO, uno de MELOCOTON para que sonrias un MONTON, uno de LIMON para que alegre tu CORAZON, y uno de MANI para que sepas LO ESPECIAL QUE ERES PARA MI.  

Isn´t it cute?  

We have mixed feelings about NOT having changes.  I think Hna V almost was crying last night.  I have this funny inner dilemna about knowing I can´t just let some problems left unfixed like I was somewhat hoping, because we have six more weeks together...  But I also cant do a hardline fix because that isn´t loving or how the Savior would do it and it wouldn´t work...  Have I mentioned how good missions are for personal development?  As much as I´ve been trying to love her in her language, last night I understood I need to up my effort and do it even better.  With real love.  I don´t know how yet.  But that´s what personal inspiration is for, right?  I have six more weeks to learn and change and apply.  So that when we DO have changes, we both cry because we´re friends.  

When I sent home all those letters from the mission, I kept a few back to read and reread.  One of them is from Aunt Jane that I received in the MTC.  She wrote that cousin Hazel asked her, ¨Why did Satan not want Ivy to serve a mission?¨ And every time I read that quote I get chills.  I used to think it was because I would baptize thousands and save thousands of lives.  I think after a year in the mission, I finally understand one of the biggest reasons my Savior would have me understand.  Satan didn´t want me to serve a mission because he knew it would save MY life.  That I would learn how to love.  That I would learn how to seek to understand, comprehend, love, and serve others as Christ would.  And that this short time here will bless me and those around me for ALL of eternity.  Time without end.  All those blessings for a short period of 18 months of service.  THAT is one reason  Satan didn´t want me to serve a mission.  I declare the same words that allowed the Holy Ghost to testify to me to get me on the mission after those dark six months of believing Satan.  GO SERVE A MISSION!  IT WILL BLESS YOUR LIFE!  

This week I received the leather agenda folder I asked Bradly in Calvario to make for me.  I translated and added a bit to the awesome motto Dad gave me before I entered the MTC.  I designed the folder and am as pleased as punch with what Bradly (in Calvario) created.  

Cristo Vive
Permanezco con dignidad.  Enseño con poder y autoridad.
Renazco de las senizas en el gozo resplandeciente del servicio.

And if ashes is supposed to read cenizas, I´m going to laugh hard.  Bradly, 100% Guatemalteca, proofread this for me.  

Family, I LOVE YOU!  You are doing a great work!  I´m so proud of you.  I pray for you.  And thank you for praying for me.  I do feel your prayers.  I testify our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ lives, and that this is HIS work and HIS glory.   I LOVE YOU TONS!!!  

Hermana Ivy [-]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)