Monday, November 5, 2012

Hola de Hermana, 5-11-12


Hola mi familia asombrosa!!!

I can hardly believe how fast time is flying.  today I realized I only
have three more transfers left, and that is a fairly GAH!!!  thought.

Today as a zone we went to El Rio Blanco.  40 minutes in bus each way,
and we were so cramped there were (shhh) elders riding on top of the
bus, but the two hours we had to smell the pine trees and hear the
crashing water and smell FRESHNESS was balm for my spirit.  I am so
glad I am not serving in a city city, and so grateful there are small
opportunities to feel like I can enjoy the beauty God creates.

This week we worked so hard and met some high goals.  More important
than the numbers were those moments when we felt the Spirit and knew
we had really been angels for the people, whether they were members or
investigators.  I feel more content with what we are doing and perhaps
more importantly, who I am being.

Can you also contact Sister Whitesides, my institute teacher from
Logan?  She’s in my gmail contact list.  Once during a special IWA
Christmas Fireside she shared a powerful parable of a man who didn’t
understand why God would send His Son to earth to save man.  Later he
wanted to save some crows from a cold winter night, but the crows were
afraid of him and he wished he could be a crow so that they wouldn’t be
afraid and let him help him.  And then he heard Christmas bells
ringing, and he began to weep, understanding why God would send His
Son to save man.  I would love to receive that story so I can
translate it into Spanish.  It was beautiful.

November 1 was Dia de los Santos, or Day of the Dead.  Here in
Guatemala people go to the cemeteries and decorate the graves, and
those who can afford it pay for men to play huge marimbas in front of
the graves.  It the Birthday of all those who have died.  So we took
family history group sheets into the cemetery and tried contacting
with them for the very first time.  It was fun, the marimbas were
AWESOME,  and we have a visit Wednesday to help some young adult women
with their records.  I had fun telling people we have a line that goes
back to the 800s in France to a prince.  Even though I never found
someone to do the work for in my two family history institute classes,
I’m so glad I took them.

Hermana V and I both feel more settled.  This week when I
needed a way to feel love, I reread 1 John chapters 3 and 4 in the
Bible.  They are some of my favorites.  If anyone needs a love boost,
they are a perfect read.

One morning this week I was gratefully surprised to feel the Spirit
when I didn’t feel worthy of it.  As I read ch 4 in Preach My Gospel,
I was touched by remembering that a returned missionary at USU told us
that he had wondered on his mission how he could know if he was
applying the Atonement of Jesus Christ in his life.  Elder Henry B
Eyring came to his mission and said, You can know you are applying the
Atonement of Jesus Christ in your life when you feel the Spirit.  We
feel the gifts of the Spirit as we repent. I testify that no matter
how many times we make mistakes or sin, we are never too low to apply
the Atonement in our lives.  We can always repent, and thus feel the
Love of God and the Spirit.  They love us so much, and often, they are
just waiting for us to drop our natural sinful ways and turn to them
so that we may have them in us.

I love you so much Family!  I testify you are all children of a
perfect and perfectly loving Heavenly Father, and He LOVES you!!!
During missions we have the blessed opportunity to really be angels
for other people and help them know and feel God.  Please pray for
Dunia.  Pray that the families we teach this week, especially Carlos
and Leti, will feel the Spirit testify that our message is true.
Please pray that we’ll have the courage to do hard things.

I LOVE YOU TONS!  Seek the inspiration you need to fulfill your
personal missions!  I am so proud of you and so deeply grateful FOR
you!!!

Hermana Ivy [-]

PS Mom, I have been astounded how many people from Honduras are here!
My comp, Dunia, Carlos and Leti, Hna D, and her friend Carmencita
we are trying to teach.  I love knowing you gave a special heritage
from Honduras to me!  I give these people your love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)