Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Really corny, wheat and honey cornbread--what a mouthful! ;P

Just in time for Thanksgiving...IT'S FINALLY HERE!!!  duh duh-duh duh:  my favorite cornbread recipe!  :D  If you are looking for KFC-like cornbread, check out this recipe (I suggest halving the sugar).  If you are Southern and swear cornbread is not sweet, consider this.  If you'd like a cornbread so good your grandpa eats half the pan for breakfast, keep reading.  ;)

Moist, nearly cake-like, wheat & honey-sweetened goodness, packed with sweet corn kernels.  I like it just how it is without adding extra butter or honey.  I hope you enjoy it too.  :)  



Notes for the recipe:
--You would probably not enjoy chewing pieces of cardboard in your cornbread.  So for crying out loud, use sweet corn that is still sweet and tender, and not fossilized into starch chews.
--I mix the milk and vinegar at the beginning to let the vinegar curdle the milk into a substitute for buttermilk.  I measure the milk into a two cup measure, which leaves plenty of room to add the vinegar and, later, whisk in the egg.
--If you do not drain the corn, the cornbread will take longer to bake and be almost wet.  Right after I mix the milk and vinegar, I put the corn into a sieve and let it drain until I add it to the dry ingredients.
--Ideally the butter is in the oven until it melts and begins to brown, not burn.  If it does burn, pour it into a empty aluminum can, wipe out the burny residue, and melt new butter.

I modified this cornbread from Heidi Swanson's firecracker cornbread recipe.

Really corny, wheat and honey cornbread 
Note:  I live at an altitude of 4,465 feet in an arid climate.  If you live at a much lower elevation, expect your cornbread to bake faster.  If you modify the recipe, please let us know how it works out in the comments.  
Determine the amount of servings by the consumer's level of self-control.  ;)

2/3 C whole milk
2 t white vinegar

1 T butter
3/4 C wheat flour
1/4 C white flour
3/4 C fine grain cornmeal
1 T baking powder --preferably aluminum-free
1 1/2 t sea salt, or 1 1/4 t fine grain salt


1 large egg
2 C sweet corn kernels, drained
1/3 C honey


Preheat the oven to 350 deg F.
Add the vinegar to the milk.
Put the tablespoon of butter into an 8x8 baking pan or a 9 inch iron skillet.
Whisk all the dry ingredients together (flours, cornmeal, baking powder and salt).
Whisk the egg into the milk and vinegar.
Dump the corn onto the dry mixture, drizzle the honey on top of the corn.
Put your baking pan into the oven and close the door behind it.
Pour the milk and egg mixture on top of the corn, and fold the batter until it is mixed together.
Remove the pan from the oven and, if the butter is melted, pour in the batter.  Smooth the top, and bake for 30 minutes or until the sides have pulled away from the pan and the top is browned, and an inserted toothpick comes out almost clean.

Enjoy!!!  How did you like it?  :)

2 comments:

  1. I love cornbread! I want to try this one someday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you do, it tastes so good. :) Thank you for commenting! :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! :) Please comment on my blog. :) Remember this blog is my online home, and as such, please treat me and my guests with respect.

Any visitors who are noncompliant with this request will be thrown into the compost heap... ;)